To celebrate this year’s 100th anniversary of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA), AIGA Raleigh invited designers to create posters inspired by events that took place in the Triangle region over the past ten decades. Participating designers were asked to select a decade of interest and to submit work focused on an event of that decade.
From among the submitted designs, ten works have been selected and printed to be displayed as part of this exhibition that will travel within the Triangle region from September 2014 until early January 2015. All locations are open to the public.
All submitted designs can be viewed on AIGA Raleigh website, on our Facebook page, on Pintrest, and on Flickr.
AIGA Raleigh is excited to partner in this endeavor with esteemed local companies and organizations that in various ways stand for and promote the value of design.
Centennial Poster Tour Schedule:
- September 5: AIGA Centennial Poster Tour opening during 1st Friday at Designbox, 307 W Martin St., Raleigh (www.designbox.us). 6-10pm.
- September 6-26: Designbox, 307 W Martin St., Raleigh (www.designbox.us).* Gallery hours: Monday-Friday, 11am-4pm.
- September 10: AIGA Centennial Celebration at Busy Bee Café, 225 S Wilmington St., Raleigh (www.busybeeraleigh.com). 7pm.
- September 12-13: SPARKcon: Posters on display at Designbox (Friday, September 12, 11am-4pm and Saturday, September 13, 11am-2pm): 307 W Martin St., Raleigh (www.designbox.us).
- September 29-October 10: Durham Arts Council (DAC) in Durham, 120 Morris Street, Downtown Durham (www.durhamarts.org | 919-560-2787).
- October 11-November 1: Joe Van Gogh in Chapel Hill, 1129 AD Weaver Dairy Road, Chapel Hill (www.joevangogh.com).
- November 3-December 1: The American Institute of Architects North Carolina Chapter (AIANC), 14 East Peace Street, Raleigh (www.aianc.org)
- December 2 – January 5: HQ Raleigh, 310 S Harrington St, Raleigh (hqraleigh.com)
*Additionally, on October 8 at 12 noon, designers who have participated in the centennial poster project, will be featured by Designbox as part of Creative Collisions, a monthly speaker series. Come meet the designers and bring your questions. Let’s talk about a century of creativity in the Triangle. The event is free (unless you opt in for pizza) but we ask you to register in order to make sure we have enough space for all participants.
We thank the following partners for their enthusiasm for the AIGA Centennial Poster Tour, for lending us their support, and for sharing space: Designbox (Raleigh), Busy Bee Cafe (Raleigh), SPARKcon (Raleigh), Durham Arts Council (Downtown Durham), Joe Van Gogh (Chapell Hill), The American Institute of Architects North Carolina Chapter (Raleigh), and HQ Raleigh in collaboration with the Contemporary Art Museum (Raleigh).